Scientific novelty is closely related to the topic of the thesis. In this case, a prerequisite is the existence of a hypothesis that allows you to outline a range of issues leading to the formation of the core of the study. This core is sometimes called the highlight of the thesis.
Novelty is the main requirement that is presented to the dissertation research. That is, the work should contain new scientific solutions that are important for a particular branch of knowledge or science in general, or sound development, which will ensure the solution of important problems of applied disciplines.
It is assumed that the solution of problems obtained for the first time and is of interest to science. In addition, the thesis deals with a scientific problem, which is a consequence of the development of the industry and involves entering a new stage. Of fundamental importance is the new task, the solution of which will lead to the development of the industry. This implies the determination of the novelty of the task and its necessity for the field of knowledge.
The novelty of knowledge, if we talk about the scientific sense, involves the development, new discovery, the formulation of a new branch of knowledge. But, novelty can also be associated with old discoveries, but those that have undergone modernization, or are used in a completely different field, which is offered by a graduate student. The value of the problem to be solved for science can be determined from theoretical positions, the point of view of a famous author or a process that influences the development of science.
To determine the scientific novelty, it is necessary:
- To study the literature on the subject of research and to analyze the historical development. Quite often, graduate students use a well-known position, posing as a new discovery. And if the literature had been studied more thoroughly, such incidents would not have happened.
- Consider the opinions of various authors, to compare decisions that may lead to a fundamentally new position or compromise.
- Use actual and digital material in scientific circulation.
- Detail the known phenomenon, process, analyze the object of research in a scientific sense. This will help come to new results.
- In the dissertation, elements of novelty can be represented:
- Object of study. You can submit a new task for the study, which previously no one worked.
- New interpretation of the problem statement. Problems may be considered without existing restrictions or with new conditions.
- Solution Method
- Application of the solution method in a new light.
- Extracting the effect from a scientific experiment.
- Improved indicators and their mandatory justification.
- Developed mathematical models, phenomena, processes and their mandatory approbation.
- Development of devices, devices, models. Here disagreements often arise, since it is unclear whether the invention can be attributed to scientific novelty. Opponents argue that this is a case of technical novelty, which has nothing to do with scientific novelty. But on the other hand, the invention has no analogues, respectively, has excellent features from the prototypes. Indeed, without novelty, one cannot speak of an invention. There is one more nuance in determining the scientific novelty of the device invented. As a substantiation and proof of novelty, an author’s certificate or a patent for a device can be used. Accordingly, the new idea allows to obtain a patent and confirms the scientific novelty.
- Thus, the definition of scientific novelty in the dissertation research is a mandatory requirement, since the purpose of the thesis is to make a personal contribution to the development of science.